This position is with the Commercial Lines Data and Business Information team reporting to the Director and can be located in Des Moines, or Harleysville.
This individual will lead a team that supports the data and reporting needs of CL Pricing across the enterprise.
This position will be a working manager position, with the additional responsibilities of 4 – 7 direct reports.
Familiarity with Harleysville and PCIO systems and data architecture is preferred, but not required. Proven knowledge in a computer programming language (SQL, Python) and experience with SAS and Tableau is required. ACAS or equivalent actuarial experience (3+ years) required.
Summary: Leads a team responsible for the delivery of business analytics work that supports the business unit. Consults with business partners to define, structure and execute analytic projects. Analyzes trends and patterns in structured and unstructured data and synthesizes and communicates meaningful insights to the project team and business stakeholders using advanced techniques including data mining and visualization. Develops and implement data management practices. Lead multiple concurrent projects.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Director level or higher. Responsible for 3 or more direct reports. May be responsible for project teams.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for creating, packaging, and communicating analytic work (synthesis) by developing new statistical models and using appropriate medium for relevant insights and applicable data visualizations. Use statistical techniques to determine patterns and predict future business outcomes and trends.
2. Responsible for effectively synthesizing the work of team members.Work may span more than one project or focus area.Plans and manages execution of team's work, participates in planning, and delivers on commitments.Participates in the development of the scope, risk/control matrix, project timelines, and assignments.
3. Collaborates with Leadership to develop analytic strategies for the business unit. Consults with business partners to understand, align, and deliver analytic work that supports business objectives and priorities.
4. Directs the application of appropriate quantitative techniques to facilitate repeatable research. Ensures appropriate quantitative techniques and methods are applied to solve business problems. Optimizes the use of analysis methods such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods to support business decisions.
5. Responsible for building analytic applications using statistical, database, and/or general programming languages and tools.Leverage technology for data management, report automation and/or ad hoc reporting for end users.
6. Develop and implement data management practices for structured and unstructured data sources.
7. Review analytic work papers and provide meaningful feedback and coaching throughout.Provide coaching and feedback to project team associates.
8. Build and maintain relationships and serve as a trusted business advisor to clients, internal risk partners, and other stakeholders.Create partnerships across the enterprise to ensure methodologies and assumptions used are aligned with corporate practices.
9. Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of department processes through ongoing initiatives.
10. Responsible for associate management including: performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate studies in statistics, mathematics, analytics or related field with post graduate studies preferred.
Experience: Typically 8 or more years’ experience in data warehousing, statistical analysis and queries. Detailed experience with analytical problem solving; working with large structured and unstructured data sets and databases to identify trends and predict opportunities. Professional experience in insurance, financial services or a related industry preferred. Leadership experience preferred.
Knowledge: Understanding of and knowledge to conduct various statistical, econometric, quantitative analysis techniques. Advanced understanding of and working knowledge to conduct data management and extraction of large analytical platforms. Knowledge of quantitative theories and techniques and their role in business context. Relevant Property and Casualty industry or business knowledge is preferred. Knowledge of statistical software and databases such as ACL, R, SAS, SPSS, MatLab, Teradata, Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Netezza, etc. Understands data structures operational vs analytical data structures, normalization, etc. and SQL Assistant, WinSQL, and Toad, etc. Knowledge of general purpose programming languages (Python, Java, C++, etc) including domain specific languages, static and dynamic languages, application design and development, test driven development, and agile practices. Possesses an understanding of various operating system platforms (i.e., Windows 200X, UNIX, OS/400, etc.); relational database security concepts and platforms (i.e., Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server and DB2); enterprise network and systems architecture concepts and technologies; SDLC and generally accepted IT project management methodologies and approaches; and information security/protection concept.
Skills/Competencies: Possesses core statistics skills including an understanding of probability and its application to the analysis of data. Able to evaluate sources of variation and identify influential factors/features. Experienced with statistical process control, process monitoring and diagnostics. Ability to conduct data manipulation and analyses using analysis methods such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods. Ability to understand business processes and the data produced by them. Capable of developing distinctive data visualizations.
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions, probes different sources for answers, and can see hidden problems. Ability to formulate business questions/problems into analytical questions, execute analyses and communicate recommendations.
Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills to translate analytic findings into actionable communications. Able to clearly and succinctly communicate information and ideas through a variety of media in a manner that engages the audiences at various levels and helps them understand and retain the message.
Time Management: Is able to plan and prioritize tasks for a team, uses time effectively and efficiently, and can work on multiple concurrent projects.
Strategic Agility / Adaptable to Change: Can anticipate future consequences, has broad knowledge and perspective, is future oriented, and can paint credible visions of possibilities and likelihoods.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt).
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Extended and non-standard work hours based on project and customer deliverable.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: Evaluated 9/2016 SNG
Internal Number: 53441
About Nationwide Insurance
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners, farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; pet, motorcycle and boat insurance. For more information, visit https://www.nationwide.com/