Claims Management, Insurance Management/Purchasing, Property and Casualty
4 Year Degree
The Insurance and Claims Manager will perform a variety of assignments and projects requiring professional judgment and knowledge of contracts, insurance policies, claims procedures and loss control.
Responsible for Calpine’s casualty and management liability insurance programs from underwriting submissions and applications to claims management. Work with others in the department on insurance related issues in policies, endorsements or contracts. Provide back up support for others in the department when out of the office. Review, negotiate, and approve insurance language within various contracts such as subcontractor agreements, rental agreements, software agreements, etc. Will work closely with Calpine’s contracts, legal, and operations department to resolve insurance related issues within contracts.
1. Manages renewal process for casualty and management liability coverage including general liability, worker’s compensation, auto, D&O, employment practices, etc. Responsibilities include development of extensive underwriting data, completion of insurance applications and/or questionnaires and coordination with internal departments, brokers and underwriters. Ensures proposals, binders, and quotes are consistent with Calpine’s understanding, authorization, and prior year’s insurance program. Works with brokers and underwriters to address any issues and/or subjectivities to obtain and maintain coverage.
2. Manage and administer policies and endorsements for casualty and management liability programs. Review policies and endorsements to ensure documents are accurate and consistent with insurance proposals. Obtain corrective endorsements as appropriate. Manages data on Risk Management Information System, Riskconnect Clearsight, as needed.
3. Manage and administer casualty and management liability programs, as appropriate, for Canadian assets. Responsibilities include development of underwriting data, completion of insurance applications and/or questionnaires and coordination with internal departments, brokers and underwriters. Ensure proposals, binders, and quotes are consistent with Calpine’s understanding, authorization, and prior year’s insurance program. Works with brokers and underwriters to address any issues and/or subjectivities to obtain and maintain coverage.
4. Maintain information concerning the insurance program and disseminate information to plant personnel and internal departments as appropriate. Effectively communicate Calpine’s insurance program both orally and in writing to Calpine employees and others as necessary.
5. Manage and administer premium billings and allocations for casualty and management liability programs. Work with accounting and other departments to effectively communicate costs and allocations as needed.
6. Reviews, negotiates, and approves insurance contract provisions in various types of contracts.
7. Manages all aspects of insurance claims for casualty and management liability programs as discussed further below. Maintains current and historical information concerning insurance costs and losses for traditional risk transfer and captive insurance programs. Provides reports to appropriate personnel summarizing costs and losses. Provides information concerning trends and recommendations for improvements. Maintains and administers claim files.
a. Liability Claims – Prepares notices and works with insurers on claims. Provides information and documentation to legal personnel relative to third party claims as well as recommendations when required. Works with in house counsel, outside counsel, broker, and insurance company on third party claims. Ensures that the company is getting appropriate coverage under the policy. b. Worker’s Compensation – Prepares and submits documentation to insurance company. Works with appropriate carriers, health providers, human resources, etc. to manage claims and ensure employees are receiving appropriate care. Works with supervisors and managers to accommodate employees who are returning to work and ensures appropriate medical requirements are followed as set forth by medical providers. Monitors and participates in claims proceedings as needed. c. Automobile Liability – Prepares and submits documentation to insurance company. Works with internal personnel and insurance company to settle and negotiate claims. d. Management Liability including D&O, employment practices, etc. Prepares and submits documentation to insurance carriers. Works with internal personnel and insurance company to settle and negotiate claims.
9. Work with other departments to obtain appropriate settlement and/or payment authorization including operations, legal, asset management, insurance and executive management pursuant to Calpine’s policies and procedures.
10. Work with legal department to execute confidentiality agreements with insurers as needed.
11. Position may include supervising others within the department.
12. Other projects or duties as requested.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, Engineering Degree may be preferred • Senior-level; varies depending on 7-10 years directly related experience. • Advanced certifications/licensures. • Energy Industry experience is desired • Solid knowledge and understanding of contract terms and conditions including insurance contracts and endorsements. • Knowledge of computer software programs necessary. Preferred experience with Microsoft related programs and Riskconnect ClearSight, a risk management information system.
Travel is 5% to 10%
Internal Number: 19-0362
About Calpine Corporation
Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with robust commercial, industrial and residential retail operations in key competitive power markets. Because we use clean fuel and renewable resources, Calpine also ranks among the cleanest power generators in the nation. Founded in 1984, we use advanced technologies to generate power in an efficient, cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner.