Claims Management, Insurance Management/Purchasing, Property and Casualty
4 Year Degree
The Insurance and Claims Manager will perform a variety of assignments and projects requiring professional judgment and knowledge of contracts, insurance policies, claims procedures and loss control.
Responsible for Calpine’s property/business interruption & cargo insurance programs from underwriting submissions and applications to claims management. Work with others in the department on insurance related issues in policies, endorsements or contracts. Provide back up support for others in the department when out of the office.
1. Manages renewal process for property and cargo coverage. Responsibilities include development of extensive underwriting data, completion of insurance applications and/or questionnaires and coordination with internal departments, brokers and underwriters. Ensures proposals, binders, and quotes are consistent with Calpine’s understanding, authorization, and prior year’s insurance program. Works with brokers and underwriters to address any issues and/or subjectivities to obtain and maintain coverage. Maintains underwriting/exposure data throughout policy year and makes adjustments as necessary for acquisitions and/or divestitures during the policy period.
2. Manage and administer policies and endorsements for property and cargo programs. Review policies and endorsements to ensure documents are accurate and consistent with insurance proposals. Obtain corrective endorsements as appropriate. Manages data on Risk Management Information System, Riskconnect Clearsight.
3. Manage and administer property and cargo programs, as appropriate, for Canadian assets. Responsibilities include development of underwriting data, completion of insurance applications and/or questionnaires and coordination with internal departments, brokers and underwriters. Ensure proposals, binders, and quotes are consistent with Calpine’s understanding, authorization, and prior year’s insurance program. Works with brokers and underwriters to address any issues and/or subjectivities to obtain and maintain coverage.
4. Maintain information concerning the renewal insurance program and disseminate information to plant personnel and internal departments as appropriate. Effectively communicate Calpine’s insurance program both orally and in writing to Calpine employees and others as necessary.
5. Manage and administer premium billings and allocations for property and cargo programs. Work with accounting and other departments to effectively communicate costs and allocations as needed.
6. Reviews, negotiates, and approves insurance contract provisions in various types of contracts. As needed, performs due diligence for new projects, acquisitions and/or divestitures for the company excluding renewable assets such as wind and battery storage.
7. Manages all aspects of insurance claims for property and cargo programs as discussed further below. Maintains current and historical information concerning insurance costs and losses for traditional risk transfer and captive insurance programs. Provides reports to appropriate personnel summarizing costs, shipments, surveys and losses. Provides information concerning trends and recommendations for improvements. Maintains and administers claim files.
a. Property/Inland Transit Claims – Visits project sites following initial loss with loss adjuster appointed to claim by carrier as appropriate. Visits project sites subsequently as required. Prepares and submits documentation on insured losses to insurance company for collection. Works with project personnel, broker, loss adjuster and underwriters to negotiate and settle insurance claims; this includes management of monthly loss adjuster reports as well as forensic accountants and failure analysis consultants and address and/or reconcile any issues of concern with all parties including excess carriers. In addition, disseminate reports to all excess carriers. Conduct regular conference calls with all constituents including excess carriers, brokers and internal accounting department to review status of all claims and/or address any issues as needed. Ensures that the company receives all appropriate costs allowable under the policy. Works with accounting/project personnel to review all internal and external costs. Finalizes documentation and obtains appropriate payment. b. Ocean Marine Claims - Prepares and submits documentation on insured losses to insurance company for collection. Works with project personnel, broker, loss adjuster and underwriters to negotiate and settle insurance claims. Ensures that the company receives all appropriate costs allowable under the policy. Works with accounting/project personnel to review all internal and external costs. Finalizes documentation and obtains appropriate payment.
9. Work with other departments to obtain appropriate settlement and/or payment authorization including operations, legal, asset management, insurance and executive management pursuant to Calpine’s policies and procedures.
10. Work with legal department to execute confidentiality agreements with insurers as needed.
11. Position may include supervising others within the department.
12. Other projects or duties as requested.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, Engineering Degree may be preferred • Senior-level; varies depending on 7-10 years directly related experience. • Advanced certifications/licensures. • Energy Industry experience is desired • Solid knowledge and understanding of contract terms and conditions including insurance contracts and endorsements. • Knowledge of computer software programs necessary. Preferred experience with Microsoft related programs and Riskconnect ClearSight, a risk management information system.
Travel is 5% to 10%
Internal Number: 19-0361
About Calpine Corporation
Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with robust commercial, industrial and residential retail operations in key competitive power markets. Because we use clean fuel and renewable resources, Calpine also ranks among the cleanest power generators in the nation. Founded in 1984, we use advanced technologies to generate power in an efficient, cost-effective and environmentally responsible manner.