The primary responsibility of the Risk & Insurance Manager is driving and implementing a strategic approach to risk management by reviewing and managing transferable and nontransferable elements of the company’s risk profile. The role includes knowledge of insurance programs, policy coverage and limitations, and administering those programs daily. The position requires collaboration with various internal business units, as well as external brokers and underwriters, and claim personnel. The expectation will be to identify exposures to loss (both insurable and non-insurable) and develop techniques to eliminate or minimize the impact of loss on the company’s assets and operations.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
Partner with Dutch Bros. leaders to identify, evaluate, and mitigate unnecessary risks:
• Develop and administer risk-management and loss-prevention programs.
• Initiate policies to comply with safety legislation and industry practices.
• Research and report on the most cost-effective plans to minimize asset liability.
• Research, evaluate and make recommendations regarding trends in risk management/safety/loss prevention/risk financing and claims management.
• Enhance practices, procedures, and processes for the Company in furtherance of the Company’s enterprise risk management objectives in alignment with the Company’s business and risk management philosophies. Support the identification, assessment, implementation, and review of risk management tools which align with corporate strategy.
• Partner with various departments at Dutch Bros. to evaluate possible business risks and develop and implement mitigation strategies that are consistent with company culture and risk tolerances.
Manage Dutch Bros. insurance policies to ensure proper and cost-effective coverage:
• Provide day to day expert guidance to internal stakeholders on insurance matters. This includes, but is not limited to, insurance policy coverages and limitations, evidence of insurance requests, advice and counsel with respect to the negotiation of various corporate and commercial contracts, and situational application of insurance expertise to support daily operations. Coordinate, collect, and consolidate information required to support the renewal of the Company’s insurance programs and policies.
• Act as the liaison between the Dutch Bros. and its insurance companies and brokers.
• Assist in the coordination, with external brokers, of market negotiations of policy terms, conditions, structure and pricing for lines of coverage including but not limited to general liability, property, business interruption, pollution liability, workers compensation, cyber and directors and officers.
• Assist and/or prepare budgets, forecasts, the total cost of risk analysis, premium allocation and invoice processing and claim accruals.
• Assist in the insurance claim process, coordinate with business units, legal and other functions, as required, to ensure timely and appropriate settlement of claims.
• Monitor claims process including the selection and performance of third-party claims examiners.
• Maintain a strong relationship with and manage services provided by brokers and external risk consultants.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• 5-7 years of experience in the risk management field, including experience managing insurance programs and policies.
• Broad knowledge across all commercial lines of insurance (including property damage, business interruption, liability, workers compensation, marine and motor).
• Significant experience in establishing and maintaining risk governance structures. Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant area (e.g., Business, HR, Accounting, etc.).
• Excellent organizational skills. Required key competencies include Communication Proficiency, Presentation skills, Project Management, Business Acumen, Technical Capacity, Personal Effectiveness/ Credibility and others.
• Extensive knowledge about legal issues around organization liability and insurance trends.
• Current CRMP certification preferred.
• Individual with a proven track record in insurance and risk management. A strong level of understanding of insurance concepts, policies and practices are required.
• Experience with analyzing complex legal contracts, including liability and insurance clauses within contracts to identify, control and manage risk exposures.
• Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Strong customer service orientation and the ability to build positive, productive business relationships.
• Critical thinking, strong analytical, communication (both written and verbal) and strong attention to detail.
• The ability to work without supervision, with strong organizational and time management skills to work effectively under time-lines.
• The ability to supervise, support and mentor individuals.
About Dutch Bros Coffee
It only takes one experience at the window to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dutch Bros. is more than just a drive-thru coffee company. "We may be a coffee company, but we are in the relationship business."
Travis Boersma, co-founder and President, along with the company's 10,000+ employees across seven states believe that the mission of Dutch Bros. is to create a positive experience every day for the customers and the communities its serves. Though today the coffee company is one the country's largest, privately held drive-thru coffee companies, with over 330 locations, its focus and passion deeply lies on serving and loving others. The company donates over $2 million a year to its local communities and nonprofit organizations, including the Muscular Dystrophy Association, in honor of Dane, Travis' brother and co-founder, who passed away in 2009 with Lou Gehrig's disease. Dutch Bros. was founded in 1992 in Grants Pass, Oregon where the original location still operates.
For a deeper look into what Dutch Bros. Coffee is all about check out this video: